The aim is to learn about history by recreating it. We study period techniques and apply them in a modern world (considering things such as cost and availability of materials, safety, and our climate). Accuracy is important and we source a range of documentary evidence, including manuscripts, archeological finds, paintings and sculptures, as well as stories told by the people that lived in those times.
Most classes are conducted fairly informally, and evolve from one or two members researching a new technique, area of interest, or teaching a class that has been taught to them. We cover everything from making garb (clothing), leatherwork, studying games and music, learning medieval dance, fletching, making armour and weaponcraft, calligraphy, food preparation, heraldic design and display, plus a host of other interesting topics.
If you have a any skills or knowledge you would like to share with others, please feel free to contact Arts & Sciences Officer to arrange a class. Thanks to those who have already come forward to offer classes, support and ideas.
Here are some articles published by members (past and present), most hand-outs at classes are copyright to the authors.
- Stefans Florilegium Information
- "Medieval Toys You Can Make" by Aelflaed of the Weald / India Ollerenshaw [33kb 2p. .doc]
- Banners, Standards, and Pennons by Lady Femke de Roas [165kb 6p. .pdf]
- Banner Painting. The Lord William of Tosny notes. [231kb 2p. .pdf]
- Documentation by Glynnis Hollinder. [link]
- Documentation by Mynjon du Jardin. [link]
- Documenation Example: Viking Woollen Hat by Dimitrii Borodinskii [14kb 1p. .doc]
- Group Projects - Baronial Court Carpet
2nd April – Embroidery Night
9th April – Embroidery project planning, UFO and Hospit working bee
16th April – Cook Guild with Kara
23rd April – GNW working bee, silk banners, piņata making or personal UFO
30th April – Festival stories, sharing notes and bargains bought.
7th May – Embroidery Night
14th May – Cords – used for awards, bags and so much more. Leonor de Alcocer
21th May – Cook Guild with Lady Kara & GNW prep
28th May – Wax fabric – making a Baronial stash for events – make one for yourself and make a few for the Barony. Materials supplied
June – Embroidery Night & GNW final prep
June – TBA
June – Cook guild with Kara
June – TBA