River haven Library
A monograph series published four times a year by the S.C.A. Each issue is a focused topic relevant to the time period 600 C.E. to 1600 C.E.
- Medieval and Renaissance Eyeglasses. Their History and Construction.
- Selections from The Hammer, Part I. Three Small Helms
- Selections from The Hammer, Part II. Plate Armor, Gauntlets, and Roweled Spurs.
- Indoor Games, or, How to While Away a Siege.
Historical forms of chess, other board games, dice, and cards.
- The Compleat Anachronist Handbook of Brewing.
Beer, ale, ginger beer, wine, mead, cordials, and notes on storage and drinking vessels
- Over the Edge: The Cavalier Issue
Seven articles on barely-past-period matters: English Civil War, Cavaliers, rapier, and construction of a wheellock rifle
- Pure Air and Fire Indeed a Horse
Equestrian equipment, dressage, breeds, housing, terms
- Leathercraft for Common Usage.
Introduction to leatherwork, a cutte bag, button-on pouch, leather bottell, and dice cup. NOT IN Library.
- Thus We Make ayn Mysterie. History and production of English cycle drama/mystery plays
- A Critical History of Illumination in Gaul and France
- Traditional Ballads. REVISED 1986
- Come Into My Chamber: English Domestic Architecture, 1200-1500
Manors with detail on lighting, furniture, privies, and windows, and instructions for "your own cruck beam, wattle and daub, thatched hovel"
- Not in Library.
- Costuming to a T: Basic SCA Sewing
Introduction to sewing Frankish, Anglo-Saxon, Norman, Greek, and Byzantine costume; pouches, pants, and a Renaissance shirt
- Deer Abbey: Give Us This Day Our Daily Bread
From Matins to Compline at Deer Abbey; property, income, and policy at Deer Abbey; a detailed, first-person tour of a medieval abbey
- A Compleat Herbal
Herbs as condiments and medicines, scents and dyes, their use and cultivation
- Falconry. Modern and historical information, equipment and methods
OUT OF PRINT. NOT IN LIBRARY.
- Leatherworking II. Scroll-carrying tube, belt pouch, leather box, black jack, flackett, dagger sheath. NOT IN LIBRARY.
- Royal Castlebuilding in Medieval England
The human factor in construction -- architect and workmen, their tasks and schedules, and the financing of the projects
- Barbarian Cultures. Germanic tribes, Slavs, Magyars, and Celts
- Saints of the Middle Ages. Canonization and sainthood, relics, and biographies.
- Heraldry: The Design and Submission of Devices and Badges in the SCA
Excellent and friendly advice on designing and registering good heraldry
- Arms and Armour III: Weapons and Armour in Western Europe 400 A.D. - 750 A.D.
- Arms and Armour IV: Weapons and Armour in Western Europe 750 A.D. - 1000 A.D.
- Gardens. Medieval gardens then and now -- plants, construction, and trivia
- Pavilions of the Known World
Instructions for building several medieval-style tents, with diagrams
- Herbs II: An Herbal Grimoire
Fragrances, foraging, dyes, herbal medicine and cosmetics, insect repellent, supplies and suppliers
- 28 11/86 OUT OF PRINT
- Weapons and Armour II: Weapons and Armour in Western Europe 1100 A.D. to 1350 A.D.
- Medieval Abbey Life II: Deliver Us From Evil; Thy Will Be Done
Wars of the Roses; beginnings and endings; continuation of deer Abbey, above
- Blackwork Embroidery. A manual of techniques and ideas.
- Witchcraft in the Middle Ages: The Persecution of the Church's Enemies
History and religion of witchcraft hysteria in the 12th - 14th centuries
- To Cure Humanity. A comparison of Chinese and Greek medical philosophies and methods.
- Russian Folklore. An overview of gods, folklore, and folktales
- An Introduction to Russian Costume. Includes simple patterns and illustrations
- Early Scandinavian Culture. Garb, weaponry, festivities, naming practices.
- Archery: The Longbow. History, techniques, equipment construction.
- Costume Studies I: Articles from Seams Like Old Times.
Flat pattern adaption, early textiles, Renaissance interlaces and cunning cord designs, bibliography. NOT IN LIBRARY.
- Costumes Studies II: Articles from Seams Like Old Times
General bibliography of costume, patterns 1340, 1380, 1420
- Costumes Studies III: Articles from Seams Like Old Times
Skirts, costumes 1440-1484, 1550-1595. NOT IN LIBRARY.
- Dyestuffs. Medieval dying methods and materials
- Issues in Chirurgery: A Collection from Al-Qanun.
Articles about being a medic in the SCA, equipment, and research on period medicine
- A Palette of Period Pigments
Colors used by medieval artists and modern recipes to reproduce them, includes bibliography and Pantone® (PMS) color references
- The Troubadours
A selection of 12th century troubadours, their poetry, and music
- Medieval and Renaissance Choral Music
An introduction to period music and sampling of pleasing (and relatively easy) songs composed before the 17th century
- Judgement of Allah: The Arms and Armor of Islam
Decoration, blades, lances, bows, armor, helmets, shields, military organizations, etc.
- A Primer in Calligraphy and Illumination
An introduction to the arts of calligraphy and illumination for beginners
- A Brief History of the Theater
A broad overview of 2000 years of theater history, including ancient Greece and Rome, the Middle Ages, Renaissance England and 16th-17th century Spain and France
- Women in Medieval Times
Social thought about women, laws concerning women, marriage and family, education, etc.
- Armorial Display. Historical forms of armorial display and its use in the Society
- Islamic World: Food, Clothing, Heraldry, and Naming Practices of the Islamic World
- Women in Medieval Times II
Discussion of the social position of women in the Middle Ages
Period makeup, perfumes, hair coloring, etc.; includes information on how to replicate the look
- The Mongols: An overview of the Lifestyles, Customs, Laws, Clothing and History of the Mongol People
- A Primer on Period Pottery. how-to on basic pottery making
- Kyrie Eleison: The Arms and Armor of the Byzantine Empire
Study of the native, regular elements of the Byzantine army, including weaponry, armor, etc.
- A Viking Miscellany. Viking shipbuilding, costuming, loomweaving, etc.
- Medieval Knighthood: The Beginning. How Knighthood came into being
- Women's Garb in Northern Europe, 450-1000 C.E.: Frisians, Angles, Franks, Balts, Vikings, and Finns. Also includes a chapter on textile production
- Alcoholic Drinks of the Middle Ages. Includes history, production, and recipes for making wine, mead, beer, distilled spirits, liqueurs, cordials, and vinegars. NOT IN LIBRARY.
- An Encheiridion. The education of a scribe
- The True Trouveres. A description and music (with translation from of old French) or the trouveres music of Northern France.
- Medieval Merchants and Artisans. A history of merchants and the merchant class
- Scandinavian Textiles.
- A Japanese Miscellany. A quick reference for those interested in period Japan
- A Welsh Miscellany. A brief overview of Welsh culture, the Welsh language, and names and naming practices.
- Ars Poetica Societatis. A basic guide to poetics providing both period and Society examples.
- Domestic Lighting: Candles, Lamps, and Torches in History. An exploration of the various sources of light and how fashion and styles have changed.
- The Development of the Coat of Plates. An introduction into the development of the coat of plates and the brigandine in the 13th, 14th, and 15th centuries.
- The World's Oldest Dance: The Origins of Belly Dancing
- Period Pastimes. Being a timeline of games with instructions and commentary on selected games played in medieval Europe.
- A'ineh: Oriental Mirror Armour
- The Best of Chronique, The Journal of Chivalry
- Dance: The Playbeau Interview. A dialogue concerning the history of various European social dances.
- Vestarios: Clothing of the Eastern Roman Empire
- A Dreamer's Travels. Being the Adventures of a Pilgrim In the Current Middle Ages Related as an Allegorical Tale In the Style of the Time Wherein He Meets Many Curious Folk And Learns Wherein Lies The Dream Thru Divers Curious Adventures and Entertaining Travels In an Enchanted Country.
- Medieval Baskets.
- Non-European Games: Contemporary with the Medieval Period of European Civilization.
- From the Kitchen of Castle Gillywick. Medieval recipes with a story attached to each one.
- Things to Wear, Clothing of the Heian Period Japan. Japanese clothing for men and women. OUT OF PRINT. NOT IN LIBRARY.
- Period Metrology: A Study of Measurement, Part I
- Period Metrology: A Study of Measurement, Part II
- University of Paris: Higher Education in the Middle Ages
- Handgonnes in the Middle Ages: A Short History and Manual
- Book Binding: Material and Techniques
- A Stitch Out of Time: 14th and 15th Century German Counted Thread Embroidery
- Spinning With a Medieval Twist. Spinning with distaff and wheel
- Beyond Prowess. Studying chivalric literature
- The Art of Papermaking
- Elizabethan Underpinnings for Women
- Early Child Ballads. OUT OF PRINT. NOT IN LIBRARY.
- Stained Glass Throughout the Middle Ages
- Period Chronology
- Deeds of Arms. Medieval accounts of challenges, jousts, and tournaments
- Period Chronology. Volume I: A-L
- Period Chronology. Volume II: M-Z
- The King Seeks More Aids? Two views of the Third Crusade
- The Lord Chateleyn's Men. The development of an Elizabethan player's company
- Life in Thirteenth Century Novgorod
- A Veiled Reference
- Western Dance 1450-1650
- French Food in the Renaissance: A Survey of Recipes from the 14th to the 17th Centuries
- The Gaelic Truibas. A brief history of and construction techniques for medieval Irish pants.
- The Kings and Queens of England: A Primer
- A Few Minutes on Books of Hours: An Initial Inquiry
- Precious Stones and Their Virtues
- The Art of Anglo-Norman Warfare, 1066-1181
- Fingerloop Braids
- The Colorful Cook. Animal-, plant-, and mineral-based coloring agents; the candying process; and comfits
- An SCA Guide to Jewish Persona. Includes a timeline of Jewish history, major trends and influences in medieval Judaism, Hebrew equivalents of SCA titles, and articles on SCA-period Jewish clothing, warriors, heraldry, women, and naming conventions.
- Introduction to Medieval Latin. Elementary Latin, including guidelines for pronunciation, a history of Latin usage in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, information about creating a Latin motto, and lessons on translating Latin
- Yours Whilst Life Swayeth in Mine Inward Parts: Letters in Late Antiquity, the Middle Ages, and Renaissance1. NOT IN LIBRARY.
- Autocratting 101: A Comprehensive Guide for Planning SCA Events
- Perugia Towels. History of a brocaded textile used for towels and tablecloths since the Middle Ages; includes weaving instructions and charted drafts
- Wrought with Flowers of Black Silk. An in-depth exploration of a popular style of blackwork embroidery fashionable in the late 16th century, with outlines and patterns based on period examples.
- I See By Your Outfit: Order Robes, Historical and Modern.
- The Sonnet Unbound: Elizabethan Sonnets as Experimental Poetry. A history of the Elizabethan sonnet, with a table of 118 different rhyme schemes from 16th century English fourteen-line sonnets.
- Characteristically Pictish: An Analysis of Ornament on Carved Stone.
- Persian Court Costume and Dance in the 16th Century.
- Making Medieval Mead, or Mead Before Digby. Includes 22 recipes from sources dating to before 1600, and 22 more from the early 17th century.
- European Woodworking Tools, 600-1600 C.E.-